Sunday, March 6, 2011

Films with Hidden Messages

Argument: Describe the authors argument in a short statement, follow it with a paragraph explaining that argument in your own words. The argument is not a summary of ideas but an explaination of the authors worst significant contribution or idea. what is his/her main point here.

This author, Linda Christensen, argues that cartoon shows we watch while growing up are filled with hidden messages or as she says "secret education." I feel that this is true, and I also agree with her statement that most people do not catch these messages or think to look or them until they are told about them. Christensen argues that once people find out about the hidden messages they feel differently about the shows and will not watch them anymore nor will they let their children view the shows. This is not always true because I was told about the hidden messages and at first my response was "noooo don't tell me you'll ruin it for me!" But it actually did not take anything away from me because the films deal with real life issues. Why sugar coat  it, there are issues dealing with race that still exist. I was told by a friend that my favorite movie, Finding Nemo, is a movie which makes fun of people with special needs. Nemo's gimpy find, Dory's short term memory loss, Deb and "Aunt Flow", the fish that is obsessed with bubbles. Although these are not good ways to address situations it does open everyone's eyes to these issues. I can still enjoy Disney movies and will let my children watch them. This might sound bad but I personally do not discriminate and are mature enough to treat everyone equally and i plan on working with special needs children so I will be making it clear to everyone that they are no different than anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. I was definitely one of those kids who never noticed hidden messages until I was told

    ReplyDelete